Reports to: Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Category: Salary, regular, exempt, full time, $58,973 per year. 5% increase after 6 months of satisfactory employment, $61,922 per year
Purpose: The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the organization, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintains and enforces a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
2. Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives
3. Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary entities, transaction‐processing operations, and policies and procedures
4. Manages cash bank balances and cash flow
5. Manages special projects and other duties as required in accordance with agency growth and changes
6. Recruitment, training, development, supervision, evaluation, coaching, discipline and termination of accounting staff
1. Maintain systems of internal controls
2. Ensure accounting transactions are reported accurately and timely
3. Ensure correct use of subsidiary ledgers for tracking AR invoices, receipts and adjustments; AP invoices, credit memos and payments, fixed asset additions, disposals and depreciation, etc. versus general ledger.
4. Ensure that accounts payable are paid accurately and in a timely manner
5. Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
6. Ensure payroll is processed accurately and in a timely manner
7. Ensure that Balance Sheet account reconciliations are completed and reviewed each month
8. Ensure review of staff transactions for accuracy of GL coding and information entered into subsidiary ledgers
9. Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
10. Ensure Claims related AR transactions posted by billing department balance to GL accounts
11. Ensure Grant reporting and management of budget are accurate and timely
12. Maintain the chart of accounts
13. Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
1. Issue timely and complete interim financial statements and related analysis reports
2. Maintains and enforces month end close schedule
3. Assist with budgets and forecasts
4. Assist with cost accounting analysis
5. Report significant issues to management
6. Prepares miscellaneous pro forma financial statements, analysis, and financial modeling as needed
1. Coordinate and manage annual external annual audit process
2. Coordinate and manage information for year‐end tax returns
3. Updates annual cost allocation plan in compliance with OMB guidelines
4. Coordinates activities necessary in renewing the Federal indirect cost rate agreement
5. Coordinates activities necessary in renewing tax exemption status and privileges are current and practiced
6. Coordinate and manage annual professional and liability insurance renew process
1. Ensures that financial records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
2. Ensures timely and accurate financial reporting
3. Ensures effective operations of department functions
4. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
5. Ensures adequate internal controls of agency
6. Ensures unqualified annual independent financial audit reports
7. Adequately supports program staff in budget preparation
8. Adequately supports program staff with various on‐going technical assistance & support including but not limited to: RFP’s, periodic grant reporting, interpretation of monthly financial statements, etc.
9. Effectively coordinates year‐end audit activities to ensure timeliness of final audit report
10. Demonstrates competency and working knowledge of consolidated financial reporting including inter‐company transactions and eliminations
11. Demonstrates knowledge of financial accounting principles
12. Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of cost accounting & modeling
13. Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of fund accounting
14. Demonstrates adequate knowledge of not for profit accounting and taxes
15. Understands OMB circular A‐133 requirements related to Government audits & Funding
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
2. 6-8 years progressive Accounting/Finance experience and,
3. 5 years supervisory experience
4. Health Care industry experience preferred
5. Possession of a valid Arizona driver’s license, current automobile insurance and reliable transportation.
6. Clean Motor Vehicle Record – no more than 2 moving violations or a license suspension in past 3 years
7. Successfully obtain and maintain AZ Level 1 fingerprint clearance and Central Registry background clearance.
8. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
9. Intermediate to advanced computer skills using MS Office products, Word, Excel, Access, etc., importing/exporting data to/from applications.
• Usually works in an office environment with low noise level due mostly to office equipment
• Employee must be able to sit for extended periods of time while talking on the phone, researching information on the computer or doing data entry.
• The work environment noise is low, due mostly to office equipment.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand and occasionally climb or balance, stoop, kneel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Hearing requirements include ability to listen and respond appropriately to conversations in person or on the phone.
PCOA reserves the right to modify and interpret this position description. This description in no way implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This position description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise; the employment relationship remains “at-will.” The position requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.