Area Agency on Aging Advisory Council
Interested in PCOA services and aging issues? Looking for an opportunity to serve your community? The Council, consisting of community volunteers, assists PCOA staff in developing Older Americans Act program priorities, funding recommendations, and the Area Plan – our “blueprint” for action. The Council meets the third Wednesday morning of each month at PCOA and site visits may alternate with business meetings. There are no meetings in the months of July, August or December.
What is an Area Agency on Aging Advisory Council?
The Pima Council on Aging Advisory Council is a twenty member voluntary group of people that offer advice, recommendations, information, and guidance to the agency staff and Board of Directors. – The Council is a direct means for older persons in Pima County to have their interests represented in the Area Agency on Aging activities.
What are the roles and responsibilities of the Council?
- Advise PCOA on the development and administration of the Area Plan.
- Advise on all operations conducted under the Area Plan.
- Review and comment on all amendments to the Plan.
- Advise on the conduct of public hearings.
- Represent the interests of older persons.
- Review and comment on all community policies, programs, and actions which affect older persons.
- Rank any needs in order of priority.
What is the composition of the Council?
- At least 50% older persons including program participants, minority individuals, and those in greatest social and economic need.
- Representatives of older persons.
- Local elected officials.
- General public.
- Non-voting representatives from agencies providing services with Title III funds.
How is the Council selected?
- At the annual meeting held each June, the Advisory Council Nominating Committee makes recommendations from names suggested by the community, public and private agencies and organizations, concerned individuals and present Council members.
- Members are selected by the Advisory Council.
- Appointments are made by the Board of Directors.
How does the Council function?
- Currently the Advisory Council meets the third Wednesday of each month except in July, August and December.
- Two site visits per year alternate with business meetings. Council members conduct prescheduled individual site visits once in each year to either the Catholic Social Services Central Kitchen, accompany a driver on a home delivered meal route, accompany a case manager on a home visit or visit a senior center.